We recently conducted a survey based on our customer likes, wants and needs. We were actually surprised by the information we received. Read on to see what areas surprised us.
- Our first question asked the following:
We’re working on the next product(s). We look to our customers to see what interests them most. Please choose from one of the following categories as to which type product currently interests you most:
- Face Washes, Face Scrubs, Eye Cream
- Bath Products (Bath Bombs, Bath Salts, Bath Melts, Bubble Bath)
- Products for Teens
- Products for Babies & Kids
Anti-Aging ranked the highest in interest with 72.5% of those polled asking for this type of product. Face Washes, Scrubs and Creams came in second. In the Other category, an interest in sunscreen was listed. Unfortunately, unless we want to get involved with all kinds of red tape with the FDA, we are unable to market and sell sunscreen. Do we know how to make it? We sure do. But once it’s labeled as a sunscreen, we enter into the “no-no land” where the product must go through all kinds of avenues, filings, fees, testing (and more) with the FDA. Similarly, we cannot put the words “anti-aging” on our skin care products even if those products have proven results with wrinkles, etc. Sad, isn’t it? The rules are the rules. Eventually, when we’re swimming in all kinds of extra cash, we’ll revisit the sunscreen topic again.
2. Our next question asked for favorite fragrance type. We were astounded by this answer. More than half of the people polled said that their favorite was floral (lavender, rose, lilac, etc.). Second favorite was earthy notes (patchouli, mint, etc.). In the Other category, people wrote in vanilla, cardamom and spicy! Yes, we forgot to add vanilla and other foodie type fragrances to the category and if we had, I think that would have been high on the list as well.
3. Because we have been asked on numerous occasions to create a good facial mask, we thought we’d ask our customers about that. Responses showed that this type of product had people only lukewarm. Many hadn’t ever tried a facial mask; others felt it would be too much work. Still others were concerned about the effect it might have on their skin. This was a real eye-opener for us because we’ve been on the fence ourselves on this type of product. We’re going to toss this idea around for awhile more before we consider whether we will create it and, if we decide to delve into this type of product, when we will be creating it. In the meantime, we’re going to focus on facial scrubs made with gentle exfoliants and nourishing ingredients.
4. We’ve been flirting with offering soy candles. Most people polled said they would be willing to pay a bit more for soy candles as opposed to the current market-deluged paraffin candles. Research has shown that paraffin candles are a huge source of indoor air pollution. Additionally, they emit chemicals that are as dangerous as, for example, second-hand smoke (and worse). Paraffin is a petroleum waste product and must be deodorized and bleached before it can be made into wax. For more information, please read this article. Soy candles, on the other hand, are a sustainable resource and burn clean with NO soot.
Interestingly, the majority of candle users burn their candles year round and state that fragrance is first on their list of qualities they seek in a candle. Now that you know just a bit more about paraffin and other petroleum-based waxes, perhaps substituting soy candles as your candle choice would be better for your health and your family’s health. We will keep you posted on our release date for our line of soy candles!
5. While we’ve also had fairly regular requests for a natural deodorant, most of our customers who responded to our survey were not interested. Natural deodorant does not contain the anti-perspirant ingredient, aluminum, which has been linked to a variety of issues, including Alzheimer’s Disease. Regardless, some people stated they tried natural deodorant and because it didn’t help with sweating, they went back to an anti-perspirant. Natural deodorant probably will not help much if you are a big sweater, but a good deodorant should help with odor. We’re going to hold off on this as well for a bit until we feel a more rousing interest in such a product.
6. We asked what your favorite product is. More than half said our soaps and that makes us very happy. Our handmade soap is fabulous on the skin, lasts a good long time, and is made with only the best skin-loving ingredients. Our Forever Young Face Puck was a close second to our soaps. There were some comments related to the Puck that I wanted to address: one person said the fragrance wasn’t their favorite. We don’t use the essential oils we use in the Puck to scent it; instead, we chose ylang ylang, lavender and wild orange because of the fabulous benefits to the skin. It’s also important to note that the fragrance does not linger after application. You can read more about the Puck here and why we put what we do into this amazing cream. Still another person said that he/she preferred the original Face Puck (it was hard and solid). With everything, it’s important to cater to what the majority prefers and most people who’d used the Puck wanted a cream for easier spreadability and a less greasy feel. We obliged and the new Puck has been received better than we could ever imagine! We are grateful.
7. Our final survey question asked what people would like to see on our list of products for the future. We had some great responses! Some people asked for a shampoo bar. This has been considered, visited, revisited and considered again. Until we can formulate a good shampoo bar for all hair types WITHOUT using synthetic detergents in our bar, we won’t release this product. Someone mentioned that they had received a great shampoo bar from Ulta. I went to the Ulta online site and did a search for shampoo bars and found none currently available. The product may have been discontinued which could be because shampoo bars are a hard sell, but we will continue to research, experiment and try to get a great shampoo bar for those who are interested.
Others requested a moisturizer with sunscreen (see #1 above). It should be noted that there are many of our ingredients that contain natural sunscreen including shea butter and coconut oil (SPF of 4-6) and carrot seed oil (with a whopping SPF of 35-40!). Want to try your hand at some homemade sunscreen? Go here or here.
Some asked for a spray-on hair moisturizer for aging hair and others asked for a variety of different type anti-aging products. We here at ArtiSun Bath & Skin Care are definitely keeping anti-aging products on our “to-do” list – probably forever! Of course, we will not be labeling them as anti-aging since that’s a no-no (see #1 above).
Many complain of dry skin. So here are my questions to you: Are you using the Face Puck? Are you drinking enough water everyday? Have you tried our body butter and/or hand cream and/or body oil? Do you shower with our soaps? Do you exfoliate with a good sugar scrub that also provides great moisturizing benefits? What are you waiting for?
For those who took the time to respond to our survey, thank you. It helps to regularly get a grasp on how we are doing, what is most popular, what might be of interest to our customers and what holds little to no interest.
We appreciate you.